9.25.2009

Pot Roast

Balcony Nap

I was half way through the batch of photos from our most recent vacation when I showed Laura this photograph telling her it was my favorite so far. She said it was boring and I said, "But I like boring photographs."

So many photographs are hyperbole. They strive to find the most beautiful mountaintop, the moment of greatest drama, or the subject most destitute. And while it's often fun to make these types of photographs, it can be harrowing to be constantly bombarded with such extreme images. Boring photographs let me catch my breath and appreciate the mundane.

They're kind of like pot roast. Not as exciting or exotic as sushi or foie gras, but nothing gives you that warm comforted feeling like a slowly simmered roast covered in tender root vegetables. They have a sense of familiarity, even though you may not be acquainted with the particular subject in the photograph. This photograph was taken on a boat in the middle of the Atlantic, but to me, it feels much closer than that.

No comments:

Post a Comment