10.09.2009

Terrace

On the Terrace

I have this theory, very lightly tested, that a good photograph must have at least one of the following; light, form, and gesture. The first two are rather obvious (and perhaps lacking from this example) but the third is more elusive. It usually pertains to pictures with people in them, but not necessarily, and refers to an action or movement or pose that conveys an emotional aspect of the subject. I took a couple pictures of the guests out on the terrace, but this one was the only one that I liked. The girl on the right, looking over her shoulder, that gesture, is enough to make it more than just a bunch of people standing around. I'm not really sure what she's looking at. Her shoe? Her companion is checking, too. It's an ambiguous gesture, but that just makes it more interesting. At least for me.

I don't know. Was a simple gesture enough to save this photograph?

No comments:

Post a Comment