9.02.2009

Arms

Arms

A little psychoanalysis. My mom would say that I like photographs like this because of my need for fairness and justice. Stay with me a sec.

When I played sports as a kid I hated being on the wrong end of a bad call. I couldn't stand being accused of something I didn't do and the injustice drove me crazy. Similarly (I think), I still don't like games where random chance plays a large part in determining the outcome. If someone is dominating for the whole game then a roll of the die turns winners into losers, it's simply infuriating. Where's the fairness in that?

And of course the injustices don't remain confined to sports and games. The show up all around us. So occasionally I need to take all of the random occurrences I see around me and and put them neatly in order. After all, justice is, in a sense, putting things back in the proper order. Nice straight lines. Subjects placed simply in the center. No mysterious abstract forms. Everything cleanly in focus. Ahhh.

Too much of a stretch? Aw well. My mom would understand.

1 comment:

  1. I don't know Sam, I see Chaos.
    Fat arms, messy hair, right arm longer than the other and dry spots on the concrete.

    ReplyDelete