8.29.2009

Weurfel Park

Weurfel Park

Up in Traverse City this weekend, but I don't think there are any baseball games in the plans. Ric loves the Beach Bums. He goes to games regularly even if it's just him and a hot dog. So when we come up for weekends, it's not uncommon for the family to make a night of it at Weurfel Park. But the rain and cold wouldn't be bearable even for the die hard fans. August 29th and Ric had to turn on the furnace last night.

The Beach Bums are part of the Frontier League, a step below the Major League's farm system. It's really just a bunch of guys getting paid a few thousand dollars to play baseball for the summer. Sounds pathetic but it's kind of what I imagine professional baseball was like in its infancy. Young kids taking summers off from their regular jobs. Going around playing small parks where a PA system is barely justified. Trying to extend their high school or college athletic careers just a bit longer. Not bad for a summer evening's entertainment.

I've given up trying to be the amateur sports photographer. I don't have the patience to sit with the camera to my eye waiting for the moment of action to occur. Especially at baseball. I find no pleasure in watching the game through a viewfinder. So this is what I usually bring home.

No comments:

Post a Comment